Thursday, March 3, 2011

Whitehead St. Key West- 6x8-SOLD


a little ditty done hrs before the first rain cloud ive seen here in about 6 weeks. is it possible to have that many consecutive weeks of pretty, warm sunshine? yes!



the show's all up on the wall in the gallery. it feels good to have it all in one place, ready for the collective crowd of critics, admirers, and the truly disinterested (usually husbands dragged along against their will), to view. making art is different than making widgets. each piece is a piece of your soul made during a particular slice of time. in it goes your sum total of experience, your take on that particular subject and then your creative decision on how it would be rendered. having the skills to render it is only a small part of the battle (taking years to acquire) The bigger challenge is to funnel all your concentration and spirit into that little 2 hr creation and to successfully do what it was that you had set out to do. 9 times out of 10 you come close. its that ellusive 10% that are exhilirating. its the other 90% that keeps you going out there every single day to try to get that one that, "paints itself".

5 comments:

Douglas Clark said...

I like how the under painting shows through. Very nice.

A Painter's Journal said...

Good luck at the opening Mike. I have one tonight too! You should share pics of the work all hanging together. It would be nice to see.

Barbara Pask said...

Just beautiful! You can feel the sunlight and I love those pink flowers in the foreground.

jimmy craig said...

Hope all went well, Rooney!

mike rooney studios said...

doug- thanks. i enjoy experimenting with underpainting colors.

robin- good luck with your show. i see many red dots heading your way!

barbara- thanks so much!

jimmy- it was fantastic. thanks
we should get together and paint when i get back