Monday, December 16, 2013

Throw Away Brushes

after my last few posts about my 'crappy' brushes I was flooded with requests for pics of them, so here they are. I buy em at a hardware store for less than a dollar each. sometimes theyre called 'chip' brushes
 
they do require cutting with scissors to make them of any use, tho'.
 
I cut the height of the brushes down until theyre 'stiffer' and then work all the way around the brush trying to turn it into a filbert-type shape.
 
I used to just underpaint with these but love em so much I actually paint much of the painting now with these. they last an unbelievable amount of time and get better as the months go by. sizes I use range from 1/2", 1" and 1 1/2" for the bigger shapes I need to paint.
 
the reason I like the raggedy things is it keeps my stuff looser, longer. cant get too detailed or hard edged with these things! give one a try.

3 comments:

DGehman said...

These are great, aren't they? Un-scissored, they are also good for gessoing. You can end up with a canvas-like texture by alternating the brush strokes (horizontal, then vertical) until the gesso begins to set up. Guess we're lucky that so much of Chinese food uses pork... plenty of genuine hog bristles available in the Land of the Chip Brush...

tj scott said...

I follow your blog and so happy to see one of your updates in my email. I love your work and can't believe you use these brushes! I know exactly what kind you are referring too since I am in the process of painting the inside of my house and I use these alot. Never thought to use them for painting pictures. I am impressed. Your work is awesome! And congrats on gallery representation. Well deserved!

mike rooney studios said...

dave- I guess the chi-comms are good for something besides lead in childrens toys LOL

thanks TJ. glad you enjoy my blog!