Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So Close Yet So Far-SOLD

i'm on day two of a three day workshop teaching in morehead city. this boat was on the way home and took a little over an hour and a half. i'm really a sucker for backlit stuff so when i saw the purple-ish blue boat and shiny water.... well. really thought the super light sky set off the whole thing and made it "sing".

my students are learning the Cape Cod School of Art technique of painting and applying it to plein air landscapes. today we did "block studies" a la Henry Hensche, Camille Pryzwodek etc.

they caught on super quick and made me proud! Tomorrow we will paint landscapes all day using what they learned so far.

3 comments:

Laurel Daniel said...

This boat is masterful - I love your use of purple in the shadows!

Anonymous said...

As I took in the sky and the lighting behind the boat, I then read what you wrote and it was painted just exactly as I saw it.

Great essence of lighting and shadow. I'm envious of your students, Mike.

mike rooney studios said...

laurel-
thanks. i tend to keep the colors a bit saturated compared to "real life" but thats what keeps me stoked on painting!

bonnieluria- thanks. i love teaching the cape cod technique. the students took a minute to absorb the technique but i was impressed with what they ended up with today! thanks for stopping in!