Monday, November 29, 2010

Prep Work

Planning a 16x20 painting of an interior i did as a demo a few months ago. here's the thumbnail value plan/Notan of it showing the division of light and dark. these really get the scene into your head before diving into paint. this way you know what to emphasize and what to de-emphasize value wise. also helps you mass darks together for a nice design.

Study of Lamp on a Table- 5x4
$50 plus $8 shipping
email me or call 919-920-9718 if you'd like this study
in the color study i try very hard to stick with the sketch light/dark map. values can be similar in objects and you break em out by changing the hue. keep the darks massed together. i'll use this, the demo painting, and the reference photo to complete the upcoming larger piece.

2 comments:

DGehman said...

This little version is a step ahead of the demo painting - look at that table top! And the painting-in-a-painting. Neat.

A Painter's Journal said...

I like your lesson on Notan... first I'd heard of it. And I just got my Intl. Artist mag. and there is an article in there about it! I look forward to seeing your larger painting of this scene. Its lovely now.