Monday, November 10, 2014

Jazzin' it up!

had a painting in my inventory for a while and felt like it wasn't bad enough to sand down and paint over so I put it up on the easel and decided to give it a facelift.
 
 here's the original. proof positive that my color sense has changed a lot since I painted this on Sullivans Island several years ago. it was just plain ho-hum boring.

 so I decided to paint cape school underpainting colors over it and try to revive it. brighter blue on the fish house and all the other shapes.

then I painted the more realistic colors over that. now its way more colorful (read: appealing) to me! look at the feeling of light on the grass and in the palms, for instance (compared to the top original image).
 
so don't throw away those paintings that keep finding their way back into your studio. Jazz em up!

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

it came out wonderful and it certainly illustrates how your color has morphed.
I just threw out a bunch of old paintings and kept only what I thought could be reinvented. We'll see ;)