Saturday, July 12, 2014

Overlooking the New River-16x20

This ones been in and out of the studio for several years now and its time to do a silent auction, a very popular thing i do on here from time to time. been a while since I did a silent auction so here goes.
going to sell it to the highest bidder that sends me an email in the next week. no kidding. bidding will end next Saturday night at midnite
whats the most you wanna pay for this. send me a bid!
 
its 16x20 on stretched canvas
no Cape Cod, Key West, SC, or NC bids please!
 
shipping $20 in U.S.
 

Overlooking the New River-16x20


I just pulled the below painting out of the finished pile and painted some of the cape school colors back onto what I considered a dull painting. wow, I juiced it up already. more realistic stuff will go on top of it when this is dry.

 
this blog will be invaluable to me in the future as I'll be able to go back and look and my evolution as a painter. I can see paintings from my very beginnings and watch as my style, technique, etc. changes from year to year and concept/vision to concept/vision.

I've always been very interested in the "process" of painting. don't really care what the painting is of, as much as how I paint my vision of it. at first it was about seeing the light ont these objects in its most honest environment, which would be plein air. then it evolved into how to capture the sparkle of that impressionistic vision. now its seems to be more about painting large (either inside or out) and having fun with the shapes even at the expense of "reality". more about the surface of the canvas

ive always had a tool in my toolbox that I called "de-volving" the image, but it was a very underdeveloped muscle. in these big ones my vision is much more expressionistic and personal using the plein air study and/or photo as a launching point. so I'm strengthening this de-volving muscle lately.then once I get the feel for what I want I sling large brushes loaded with varying degrees of opacity around (thanks dan!) trying to lose lots of the forms into one another.  then I think I'm trying to bring back the focal point out of that. dreaminess has, and I imagine always will, always been part of my painting equation. I go for that seconds-before-you-wake-up-from-a-dream look. just the beautiful, most important shapes, colors, and delineation.

this week ive been de-volving paintings I thought were finished. I went back into them with rich out of the tube color to bring back a lot of the snap they had on day two. the process of painting covered up the part I like the best. so I went back in and put that in. then i'll act like its day three. if I keep doing this to what I considered finished paintings, i'll have to stop posting them so soon. gotta go back and delete three of these what I thought were done deals, from the blog and replace them with the todays "finished".

a close up of adding reds and blues back into a dull painting! funny thing is I didn't think they were dull last week when I finished them!
 
i'll go back and get rid of about half of that red (and orange) you see in the grass. i'll keep just enough for that spark I get if I don't paint too much green on the surface or its not dry enough to cover without mixing (graying) on day three. which I invariably do tho' I don't want to. I'm beginning to see that layering over dry paint is the key to doing this. so much for all my stuff being alla prima anymore. oh well.
 
on the boat painting at the top of the post I added orange to the light side of the grass, pink back into the water to the left of the glare, pink in the roof, translucscent lavender into the bost and shed, and orange all the way around the edges of the shapes. i'll then go back and paint over about half of that to get rid of it where its 'obnoxious'.
 
keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I am loving this 'heated up' palette and these re-do's from the pile of "ones I can't throw away."
You've given me a great idea about several wine cartons full of, not so great finishes, with maybe, great bones, that I've not been able to purge, although it is coming close.
Love what you're doing.